Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sick of spending money on gas?

If you are like me, you cringe everytime you hear that "click" and see the amount you just paid at the pump. Since I am constantly driving all over the area, I feel like all I ever do is fill up the tank.

Enterprise has sought to alleviate that pesky pump frustration by launching a car-sharing program. It started about a month ago in downtown St. Louis and it really is a cool idea. It allows residents of downtown to rent hybrid cars by the hour for $10 an hour. There is a $35 membership fee, and members can book anytime online and then choose one of nine vehicles parked at various spots in the city.

I absolutely love the idea, but do think there are many potential problems. It's obviously in its infancy though, and I will be interested to see how it works out. It has apparently really caught on in cities such as Chicago, Seattle and Boston.
You can read the St. Louis Business Journal article, or check out WeCar's website.

No comments: